I love carrot cake, but I have never enjoyed one from a cafe as they taste too sweet to me, have too much icing or are just not quite right to my taste. So I have been experimenting in the kitchen for some time to come up with a healthier alternative.
Voila, here is my new recipe that I think you will approve of as well. It is gluten-free, grain-free and without all the nasty sugar. Good for people on a low carb and low sugar diet.
This carrot cake is the perfect healthy dessert that is easy to make and healthy to enjoy at home guilt free. And the coconut frosting gives it a nice tropical touch.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutes
Serving size: 1 rectangular loaf
For the cake:
- 3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey (depending on how sweet a tooth you have)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the coconut frosting:
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk chilled in the fridge for a few hours
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Chopped nuts for garnish
- Lemon or orange zest to decorate
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- In a mixing bowl, put in all the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Then add the almond flour, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add the grated carrots to the dough mixture and mix well.
- Pour the dough into a rectangular baking pan (grease the cake pan first, skip this step if you are using a silicone baking pan).
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. When the cake is cooked, let it cool for at least 30 minutes or completely before icing.
For the frosting:
- To make the coconut frosting, simply use the top thick cream from a chilled can of full fat coconut milk and gently beat in a small bowl with a little maple syrup. Spread over the top of the cake.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and lemon or orange zest. Enjoy!